I've already written a post about my love for Harry Potter, so I will keep this brief. I've read all seven books in Rowling's series more than once, watched each of the eight movies more times than I can count, and studied Harry Potter during my undergrad. The Harry Potter story, despite being fantasy, is so easy to relate to (especially when it comes to friendships and the problem of dealing with evil), and thus I believe that everyone can take something away from the story. Each of the characters (especially McGonagall) feel like people I know personally.
Admittedly, I read this book with the sole purpose of previewing the content for my TKNT (then kid, now teenager) nephew. I was pleasantly surprised by how well-crafted the story was, and was legitimately impressed by the fact that home schooled Paolini wrote this book when he was a teenager. This is a great crossover book for kids and teens because the content is appropriate but the book itself is enough of a challenge regardless of age/reading level. A disclaimer: do not watch the film adaptation of this book. It is horrendous, and you will regret it
I started working at a bookstore shortly before the final installment of Collins' trilogy was released. I had yet to realize the growing potential of teen lit, and really wanted to avoid the mass hysteria for as long as possible. I borrowed the first book after I noticed that everyone I worked with had read it, and ended up willingly riding the bus so I had more time to read. What I love most about this series is that, despite being set in a dystopian future, the concerns that Katniss et al have to deal with are realistic... especially when it comes to relationships, or knowing what is right and wrong.
The husband seriously chastised me for not having read this book until a year or two ago, and I fully appreciate why. In the midst of all the newly-released dystopian teen fiction, its seems as though The Giver--despite its many awards--is likely to be forgotten. This book has its fair share of controversy, but it is a crucial component of the teen dystopian literature canon. Anyone who enjoyed The Hunger Games, or even 1984, definitely needs to pick up this book. And besides: Lowry apparently has the final book of the quartet that The Giver is a part of on its way!
In the midst of a lot of dystopia, Cashore's fantasy (and strong characterization) is a welcome reprieve. One of my bookstore co-workers reminded me on a weekly basis that Graceling is an excellent book, and he was not exaggerating. This book is great for young women who love adventure and need independence, but still love a traditional fantasy story (with princesses, castles, romance and the like). Though realistic and healthy, the romantic relationships are meant for mature teens. Also, Cashore's second book is not as good as her first.
I knew about this book for too long before I bothered to read it, and I'm thoroughly annoyed with myself for not picking it up sooner. The teacher I worked with in the final year of my Education degree used this book in her remedial English classes, and I can totally see why. This book does an excellent job of presenting the challenge of high school, and doesn't hold back for fear of offending. This is a book that anyone who interacts with teenagers on a regular basis needs to read, although prepare to have your heart broken.
Although my opinion differs a bit having read the second book in Roth's trilogy, I originally thought that Divergent was perhaps better than The Hunger Games. Tris Prior falls somewhat in between Katniss and Lisbeth of The Girl With the Dragon Tattoo on the badassery scale, which I think is plenty bad enough for the teenage reader. Again, it is dystopia (as most teen lit is nowadays), but the story runs at such a fast pace that it is hard to find fault in it. I admire Roth greatly, as she happens to be a Christian, and also happens to be younger than I am. Colour me impressed.
This may have been the funniest book I've ever read. (Lamb by Christopher Moore is shaping up to be a close second.) I vividly remember sitting in a particular chair in my house as a teenager, and laughing until I cried. I had never laughed myself to tears reading before, and I don't think I've done it since. Certainly not a book for young teens (because the British humour is probably a bit risque), but it is definitely worth reading as an adult! If you ever need consoling about how difficult your life is, start reading this series. Poor Georgia will make you feel infinitely better by comparison.
This is one of a handful of books that I've read more than once in my life, and it was a book I was required to read for school. Contrary to most books in this post, it is old. As in, was written in the late 1950s old. The book centers around a thirty-something man with a very low IQ who undergoes experimental testing to increase his IQ. The historical understanding of disability and mental illness is very accurate to the time, as well as illuminating. Teens would do well to read this book to understand how ability/disability are defined.
Another "I read it in high school but still loved it" book, written by a man who is unfortunately no longer with us. Bradbury has an excellent personal story (mostly re: his education via the public library system), and was also an excellent writer. Surprise, this book also falls under the dystopian umbrella, but is far from similar to any dystopian novels I've read. It takes place in world where firefighters are responsible for burning books (hence the title, which refers to the temperature at which books ignite). This book is undoubtedly on my ultimate top ten list.
--- chRistie
PS: Books listed = in no particular order (not even alphabetical).






0 comments:
Post a Comment